Pet Rats/White rats-red

Question
So I just gave my white rat a bath for the first time, and I noticed he has red on the sides of his neck and a little on his face area. Is this normal?

Answer
Hi Brittany,
Yes, this is normal. Rats have a red pigment in their tears called porphyrin.  This red discharge is a brownish red color and is frequently mistaken for blood.  When their eyes water, the porphyrin can become caked around the eyes, or as the tears run down into their nose it can come out their nose.  It can also get caked on their hands, and spread onto their fur and ears as they groom themselves.  It can be easily removed from the fur with hydrogen peroxide, but just use plain water around the eyes.  When they sneeze, it can make tiny red spots in their cage.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun