Pet Rats/Messaged Breeder

Question
Yikes, I got a hold of the breeder and asked her if she had a mama rat to feed the babies. She said she would freeze them because they're brother sister babies. Does that mean the babies are defective?

Answer
Hi Shady,
No, it does not necessarily mean the babies are defective. When close relatives breed there is more of a chance for the offspring to inherit two copies of recessive genes carrying poor traits, but it is not a guarantee. Obviously the breeder is not all that compassionate toward her animals.

See the info at the bottom of the Adopt a Rat page on my website at www.ratfanclub.org for suggestions on ways to find homes for the babies.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun