Pet Rats/New Rat Had Babies

Question
6 days ago I got 2 female rats from a breeder. Today one of them had babies! I've never had rats before. I contacted the breeder and she said she can come pick up the babies tomorrow. I fear the other female might be pregnant too. I don't know what to do. Don't the babies need to stay with mom?

Answer
Hi Shady,
The breeder might have a foster mom who will take over caring for the babies. You should ask them. Babies need to be handled a lot to socialize them and make sure they bond to humans and turn out cuddly and friendly. It's a big responsibility. But it certainly is not responsible for this breeder to sell pregnant females. Do they breed rats for snake food?

You'll find info about raising baby rats on my website at www.ratfanclub.org in the Reproduction article.
Deb

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun