Pet Rats/New Rat Had Babies

6 days ago I got 2 female rats from a breeder. Today one of them had babies! I've never had rats before. I contacted the breeder and she said she can come pick up the babies tomorrow. I fear the other female might be pregnant too. I don't know what to do. Don't the babies need to stay with mom?

Hi Shady,
The breeder might have a foster mom who will take over caring for the babies. You should ask them. Babies need to be handled a lot to socialize them and make sure they bond to humans and turn out cuddly and friendly. It's a big responsibility. But it certainly is not responsible for this breeder to sell pregnant females. Do they breed rats for snake food?

You'll find info about raising baby rats on my website at in the Reproduction article.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior