Pet Rats/rat ate potatoe skin?

My pet rat,Mae, ate a little bit of red potato skin. It wasn't green but there was a very small eye. My brother works on a farm and that's here they came from. the potatoes were about the size of a regular bouncing ball. She ate probably half the skin of it. I looked it up afterwards and read they aren't supposed to eat green potato skins or potato eyes. I just want to make sure she wont be getting sick or anything from it and I couldn't find conclusive answers for rats.

Hi Isabel,
Only the green skin contains toxins, the regular skin is perfectly fine for both humans and rats. And it's the sprouts that grow out of the eyes that are toxic, not the tiny little eyes themselves. So, I'm pretty sure she will be fine.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior