Pet Rats/rat running around and vibrating?

my pet rat Jewels vibrated a few days ago ad i asked about it and you said it was normal. earlier this evening she and her sister were both being a little roughly held by my siblings and then my dad told them to put the rats away. when we put them away jewels was vibrating but i thought it would go away like last time, but when i just went to get her (10-20 min later) she was running around her cage and running from my hand and vibrating which makes me think she hasn't stopped. i managed to get her out and she is calming down a little and acting pretty normal except a little freaked out,but i don't know what was going on and i want to know if something was wrong or she was hurt. her sister was also running around but more willing to be held and wasn't vibrating.

Hi Isabel,
Since the vibrating usually occurs in female rats when they are in heat, you can check to see when a rat is in heat. Normally their vagina is puckered closed. When they are in heat, it gapes open. So it is pretty easy to tell when they are in heat.

Pet Rats

Debbie Ducommun

I can answer any questions about pet rats, but you will probably be able find answers to simple questions more quickly on my website at If you have a life-threatening emergency you can try calling me at 530-899-0605. I am not usually on the computer on the weekend.

I have been "The Rat Lady" since 1985 and am recognized as one of the world's experts on pet rats. I have 3 published books and already answer lots of questions about rats daily.

President of Rat Assistance & Teaching Society

I am a monthly columnist for Pet Business magazine, and my writing has appeared in other magazines. I have 3 published books.

BA in Animal Behavior