Pet Rescue/Adoption/whining at night

Question
Hi I'm fostering 2 littermates. They are 7 week old lab mixes. My dog is a year old and will NOT leave them alone. So I have decided to make a play area for them in my room and my dog stays out in the rest of the house. Last night was their first night over and they whined the whole night! My dog was instigating it though! He was whining outside the door and then of course the puppies started doing it too. What can I do to stop this? I literally got no sleep last night. Any help you could give me would be appreciated, I dont want to have to give the puppies back early. Thanks

Answer
Though I'm a reptile rescue guy, I do have some military and law enforcement experience with K-9s and socialization issues. Your dog probably has some anxiety issues, and is just used to being with you. Now you have two puppies in with you and he's locked out. That is bound to cause some problems. I'd suggest letting your dog into the bed room if that's his normal routine, he's well socialized and not aggressive, and he's normally allowed access there; and put the puppies in a crate for the night if they are too small or too active during the night with your dog inside. Your dog and the puppies will probably all feel better, and it will help socialize the pups anyway by introducing something new to them in the way of other dogs.

Pet Rescue/Adoption

Mick