Pet Rescue/Adoption/Baby chicks need rehabilition

My family bought 2 chicks from a feed store but have now come to understand our city doesn't allow residents to have them as pets and permits are not available. I refuse to let my parents return them to where they came from because the handlers were cruel, but I'm running out of options. I need to know of any fowl/farm animal rescue facilities that will accept the chicks around the fort worth area. Or, if there are any farms near fort worth/dallas that will accept chicks. They're well behaved and I really do care for them, so I want them to go to a decent home. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check online for DFW cares yahoogroup. There are a lot of animal activists of all types there. If not, I am not far away and I know people down there. Email me through my website at and I can try to find someone dealing with chickens.

You might also try calling the SPCA of Texas in Arlington and seeing if someone there has a domestic fowl rehabber number.

Pet Rescue/Adoption

I am the co-founder of Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue ( Wichita Falls, Tx. ). We provide temporary to permanent sanctuary, medical care, and adoption, to needy reptiles of all types ( turtles, tortoises, lizards, and snakes ). We are, first and foremost, reptile educators and care advisors. In this way we hope that we can prevent many animals from needing to be rescued or re-homed in the first place. We are experienced in many different specific reptile species, including: Geckos, Anoles, Iguanas, Bearded Dragons, Monitors, aquatic and box turtles, tortoises, colubrid and venomous snakes, and Horned Lizards. We can advise you about a variety of captive care issues, and are available to speak to the public about the study and conservation of reptiles in the wild. We also have previous experience in dog and squirrel rescue organizations, with rabbits, and with some wild and domestic birds. We continue to rescue squirrels in our area with much success, and work closely with our partners, of Southwest Oklahoma Animal Rescue. We can assist in emergencies with these and many other animals; or, direct you to someone or another appropriate rescue group who can help.

I am an amatuer herpetologist, with 20 years experience with reptiles. I am a reptile rescuer and subscriber to the International Veterinary Information Service, and member of the Horned Lizard Conservation Society. I have medical and scientific resources available, and have had to learn herp medical care over the years. I am not a vet, but I read from the same materials and have had to correct a few in the past, as it related to reptiles. I have a yahoogroup dedicated to the conservation and husbandry of Horned Lizards. My specific area of expertise is in Chelonians ( primary- Box Turtles ), Phrynosoma ( Horned Lizards ), and Crotalids ( primary-Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes ); though I have some knowledge and/or experience also with aquatic turtles ( Red Eared Sliders ), tortoises, monitors, many other smaller lizards, and with some colubrid snakes. I am currently the caretaker of 13 Horned Lizards ( 10 rescues ), 9 Box Turtles ( 7 in rescue ), 1 Tortoise, 1 Red Eared Slider ( rescue ), 2 Leopard Geckos, 1 Golden Gecko ( rescue ), 1 African Wall Gecko ( rescue ), 4 Mediterranean Geckos, 2 Bahama Anoles ( rescues ), 1 Ca. Kingsnake, 1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 1 Bullsnake, 5 Fox Squirrels ( in rescue ), and 1 Budgie.

Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue
Horned Lizards YahooGroup
Horned Lizard Conservation Society

The Horned Lizard Husbandry Manual - self published 26 pages of care information. Wikipedia entry "Horned Lizards" - contributed to a majority of the content.

20 years of field and captive husbandry EXPERIENCE.

I was requested to provide my care sheet on the Desert Horned Lizard ( Phrynosoma platyrhinos ), for the Montreal zoo.