Pet Rescue/Adoption/Rescuing pets vs. buying

Hello Shelia,

I am writing an article for my class about people rescuing pets instead of buying them. I was wondering if you could tell me what people can expect when adopting a rescue dog? And why you should adopt instead of buying? And lastly what are the benefits to adopting?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi! I think it's great that you are doing this. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm going to refer you to a couple of articles I've written which will answer your questions.

Hope that helps! Best of luck, -Sheila

Pet Rescue/Adoption

Sheila T.

What can I expect when adopting a rescue dog? Why should I adopt a rescue dog instead of buying a puppy? What types of problems are commonly seen in rescue dogs? How can I become a dog rescuer? What types of dog rescuers are there? What are the benefits and drawbacks to being a dog rescuer? What should I do if my rescue dog isn't working out?

Since starting Sheila's Schnauzies Miniature Schnauzer Rescue in 1998, I have rescued, resocialized, and/or restored to health then placed over 50 miniature schnauzers and schnauzer mixes for permanent adoption in loving homes and/or provided lifetime sanctuary for them. I have also provided dog evaluation services to individuals seeking to adopt a rescue dog.

Phi Theta Kappa

Publications And many more... search for SheilaSchnauzies for a full article list. Staff writer for,

A.A., Liberal Arts