Pet Rescue/Adoption/Aggressive Amazon

I have a 20 yr old Amazon that I have been trying to rehome for about 15 months.  His previous owner died.  He is EXTREMELY aggressive.  I have tried everything I know to get him where he will step up or do anything.  All he wants to do is lunge and bite.  The bites are not getting better but appear to be getting worse.  But when you leave him alone, it's like he cries for your attention.  I am to the point of considering a new home for him.  I am at my wits end.  I have 4 other birds of different species (cockatoo, macaw, cockatiels) and do not have any issues with them.  What can I do?

-- Hi Judy.  Amazons are, I'm afraid, notorious for what you're seeing.  BUT not all hope is lost.  They are truly a loving, sweet bird if they bond with you.

Keep in mind that this poor bird has NO idea what happened, where his owner is, where his regular schedule is, his room, his food... nothing is the same and he doesn't understand why.

Can you imagine what level of hades this has to be for an innocent, toddler mentality?  

So approach him with kindness, gentleness, understanding and empathy.  Imagine a small child losing their parents and being ripped out of their home, sent to live with someone they don't know in a place they don't know... and worse, the people speak a different language!   Talk about terror huh?

All this bird can 'understand' is your tone and your facial expression.  And of course how patient you are, or are not

I have an entire guideline to help you through this here:   -- go to the biting and screaming part

Especially 'night whispering'

You CAN do this  

Pet Rescue/Adoption

Reverend S. Abbott

I am the owner of, a rescue, rehab and behavior modification network with volunteers across the country ready to help contribute time, effort and knowledge for animal welfare. We have re-homed dogs, countless cats and are growing our activities in exotic bird care. Iíd like to provide the answers to your questions and concerns about how to recognize animals in need, what you can do in your area and contribute to supporting you through the initial adjustment time after adopting a previously neglected animal. If I donít have the answers, Iíll do whatever I can to find someone who does!

Endangered/Protected species caretaker working with state veterinarians more than 25 years. Exotic bird care, macaws a specialty, working with breeders, researchers and veterinarians (ongoing) Cats (40 years), rodents and marsupials

United Media Syndicate (weekly column); United Press International/Associated Press (daily); Bird Talk Magazine; various others

Certified Avian Specialist; Certified Opossum Expert; State Licensed Animal Rescue & Consults

Listed in 3 Who's Who publications for outstanding accomplishment in field