Pet Rescue/Adoption/Doodle- raped mini donkey

Hi- thanks for volunteering. I donít know where to start or how to keep this short. A FB link is below with the event about this animal.

Iím an ARA in Jacksonville FL. Iíve been working hard to help a mini donkey named Doodle in Ocala FL since Sept of this year. She has been repeated raped and the problem Iím focusing on is Doodle herself now- the shelter she is at is refusing to donate her to a local sanctuary, instead trying to get money through adopting her. Shameful and heartbreaking.

With 6000+ activists on Facebook and a Care2 petition, Iíve been following everything about Doodleís rapist because when he was done the Marion County Animal Center (MCAC), they would be seeking legal custody of her. They lie when anyone calls saying they cannot commit to donating her to sanctuary, but they tell the media they will be adopting her out. Sheís hurt and young and needs special careÖsanctuary. Today this came to a head because finally MCAC was to have their custody hearing. NO ONE can get me any info. They refuse to say how much in fees a sanctuary could pay to take her. Now the time might be here to really seek the publicís help through local protests, but I need to know whatís happening. Ocala is an agricultural town and they donít have a respect for Doodle or her suffering.

MY QUESTIONS: What can anyone do to get Doodle donkey to sanctuary before sheís adopted out?
When will they start adopting her out? What am I reading hereÖdid the rapist Romero sign Doodle over to the county today?

Public Facebook Event Iíve been running

Doodleís original story on my blog

Thank you so much for any advice for me and Doodle,
Lisa Grossman

-- You are doing the right thing.  I have already forwarded your well connected information to colleagues and friends, all of whom will be signing the petition, forwarding it even more and sending letters/emails.

Please be sure to keep up your tireless efforts and keep everyone informed as to what happens.

--- Perhaps a well placed individual in the system could end up 'adopting' Doodle and then, as new owner, get her into a safe, lifetime place.

I know that in my position as a rescuer for exotic birds, policy is to NEVER buy a bird.  That's not rescue, that's purchasing.  It only encourages the seller to do it over and over.

But yes, there have been rare, very isolated instances where the treatment was so horrific and the owner so greedy that if I didn't 'buy' it, the torture would be endless until the animal died.   So perhaps someone 'buying' Doodle is the way to actually rescue her?  

Pet Rescue/Adoption

Reverend S. Abbott

I am the owner of, a rescue, rehab and behavior modification network with volunteers across the country ready to help contribute time, effort and knowledge for animal welfare. We have re-homed dogs, countless cats and are growing our activities in exotic bird care. Iíd like to provide the answers to your questions and concerns about how to recognize animals in need, what you can do in your area and contribute to supporting you through the initial adjustment time after adopting a previously neglected animal. If I donít have the answers, Iíll do whatever I can to find someone who does!

Endangered/Protected species caretaker working with state veterinarians more than 25 years. Exotic bird care, macaws a specialty, working with breeders, researchers and veterinarians (ongoing) Cats (40 years), rodents and marsupials

United Media Syndicate (weekly column); United Press International/Associated Press (daily); Bird Talk Magazine; various others

Certified Avian Specialist; Certified Opossum Expert; State Licensed Animal Rescue & Consults

Listed in 3 Who's Who publications for outstanding accomplishment in field