Pet Rescue/Adoption/Adoption /rehoming fee

My question is what is a reasonable adoption fee and when does becoming a selling cost? I've seen the fees anywhere from $75.00 to $600.00

Wow, tough question because rescues vary so much in their policies, and so do the expenses incurred by the rescues.

In my rescue, I typically charge my actual costs that I have invested in the dog itself. That would include transportation, veterinary care, spay/neuter, vaccinations, grooming, and any other medical care involved. This can range from the $75 amount (say the dog was local and already spayed or neutered, had its shots already, etc.).

The only time I can envision a $600 fee is if the dog had extensive medical care involved. It is reasonable for a rescue to expect to recover its expenses because most of us are non-profit and operate on our own money and the scarce donation here and there.

I hope this helps you somewhat. If you see a rescue fee that you think is too high, I would encourage you to ask the rescue to "itemize" the fee for you, explaining their justification for it.

Best regards, -Sheila

Pet Rescue/Adoption

Sheila T.

What can I expect when adopting a rescue dog? Why should I adopt a rescue dog instead of buying a puppy? What types of problems are commonly seen in rescue dogs? How can I become a dog rescuer? What types of dog rescuers are there? What are the benefits and drawbacks to being a dog rescuer? What should I do if my rescue dog isn't working out?

Since starting Sheila's Schnauzies Miniature Schnauzer Rescue in 1998, I have rescued, resocialized, and/or restored to health then placed over 50 miniature schnauzers and schnauzer mixes for permanent adoption in loving homes and/or provided lifetime sanctuary for them. I have also provided dog evaluation services to individuals seeking to adopt a rescue dog.

Phi Theta Kappa

Publications And many more... search for SheilaSchnauzies for a full article list. Staff writer for,

A.A., Liberal Arts