Pet Rescue/Adoption/flea allergy

Question
Hi, can you tell me how serious a flea allergy is in cats. If left untreated can it be fatal? Thanks

Answer
Flea allergies are more common than people realize.  I have seen several cats with hair loss and scabby skin and flea allergies are the reason.  I am not sure if the actual allergy itself is fatal but flea infestation can be.  The flea are sucking the blood out and causing anemia.  I have seen kittens die from this and the actual allergy is very uncomfortable.  A simple allergy shot or two will take care of the allergy.  After that, monthly apply a topical flea preventive.  Do not use flea collars.  They are not effective.

Pet Rescue/Adoption

Dana