Pet Rescue/Adoption/Foster Dog resisting previous commercial food

Question
Ms. Augustein, I've been caring for my sister's dog for the last 8 weeks. My dog is on a homemade rice & fish diet. My sister's dog has been eating Iams minichunks, but over the course of the last few weeks she is resistant to eating her own food. I have tried adding alpo, which my sister said might help, even adding just a little of the rice stringbean & salmon mix, but she is eating less. She has a high metabolism, part Australian shepard, part chiuaua, so I don't know if I should try some other commercial dog foods as treats to see if she likes the flavor or what.

My sister, had a c-section 8 weeks ago and has an infant & she's not going to make homemade food for her dog. She also has a grumpy cat.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks for your time.

Christine

Answer
Hi Christine,
So nice of you to care for you sisters dog. Any change in his diet can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. He may just be upset the he isn't at home. Sometimes pets will stop eating when away from their family. You can try to entice him by mixing some chicken baby food into his meal to see if that will help. Also giving him something of your sisters like a old top or towel that smells like her for him to lay on may improve things too. Since there is a new baby involved I would also give him something with the babies smell on it so when he goes home he will already know the babies scent and will help with adjusting to the change. His vet should be able to give you more ideas over the phone. They know the dog they should be able to suggest things that won't upset his stomach.  But please do get the items for him from your sister. It will bring him some comfort.
Thanks for helping your sister and her dog. So many are put into shelters at times like this, its nice to see so much care and consideration given to the four legged members of the family :)
Take Care,
Ruthie

Pet Rescue/Adoption

Ruthie Augustein