Pharmaceuticals/Celexa and alcohol

Question
Hi Patricia
A few months ago I was very depressed and possibly suicidal, so my doctor started me on Celexa.
To my very pleasant surprise it took care of that issue, as well as my adult A.D.D., for which I had been taking Welbutrin which had stopped working, and also my I.B.S. went away.
All these are connected to low seratonin levels.
It also took away my desire to drink, especially binge drink. This was another pleasant surprise.
Now after only a couple drinks, I actually feel sick to my stomach and get a head ache and need to lie down. I cant enjoy a couple beers or a glass of wine now.
This is not a big deal for me-I would rather abstain, but it would be nice to have a couple drinks in a 'normal' fashion. Have you heards of Celex doing this, especially the alcohol interaction?
Thanks and God Bless.

Answer
Baruch,
It is my pleasure to help you with your questions. I did an extensive search on Celexa, particularly with the interaction of alcohol, and could find nothing that would logically explain your symptoms (or rather, lack of symptoms)!

I suppose you  are fortunate that it curbs any desire for alcoholic drinks, but as you said, you would like to enjoy an occasional drink.

If, in fact, Celexa takes away the urge to drink, we could be on the precipice of a cure for alcoholism! that seems too good to be true. It is for this reason that I urge you to mention this to your physician, psychiatrist, whoever prescribed it. I'm sure they will advise you to stay away from alcohol, and that is sound advice, but I also realize folks contact people like myself and the other volunteers if they want an honest, yet ANONYMOUS answer. But, I still think you should mention it.

Seriously, I am glad that it helped your deep depression, and hope that it continues to. Remember, to NEVER lower your dose or especially discontinue it without medical supervision. Antidepressants aren't considered 'addictive', however, our bodies get accustomed to the extra serotonin and if one wishes to discontinue these drugs (called 'SSRIs, or selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) they MUST get medical supervision; I have actually heard from psychiatrists and other professionals that it can take up to six (6) months to come off of one of these medications! A little scary, I suppose, but if it saves your life,  keeping you from the deep thoughts of depression and suicide then I suppose it is worth it. Just keep this in mind.

I have put a link below where you can read for yourself the interaction of Celexa with alcohol and even some foods.

And, please do feel free to contact me any time you have a question health-related or medication-related. This is why I volunteer for AllExperts. I gain great pleasure in helping where I can. God bless you, too.

*May I ask  personal question about your name??? I am Jewish myself, and the word 'Baruch' is Hebrew for "Praise", as in Baruch HaShem, which means "Praise the name of God". Just wondering where your unusual and lovely name comes from.

Don't forget to check out the link, below:
CLICK or go here:  http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/citalopram,celexa.html

Pharmaceuticals

Patricia Morrow