Pharmaceuticals/correlation between API shelf life and formulation finished product shelf life?

Question
Based on stability studies, we have fixed the shelf lives of our Hormonal product (Tablets) expiry at 2 years. I have an API which is remaining with a shelf life of 3 months. What shelf life would you recommend if I use it for formulating my product.What is the correlation between API shelf life and formulation finished product shelf life?

Answer
India is unique in stating (Schedule M) that the product shelf life cannot be longer than the shelf life of the active ingredient. No other country has such a regulation, and all rely on your demonstrated product stability study (expiration dating).

The answer to your question depends on where you are marketing the product, and the regulations that apply.

Pharmaceuticals

Michael Anisfeld