QUESTION: dr salman,im a 80 year old male who gets back up (gerd)a couple of times a week.its mild usually is just a short back up with sour taste in my moiuth and goes away in 10 seconds.i don't like gerd because it can lead to other problems.being 80 I don't have kidney problems,never had protein in my urine but my kidney function is probably at 50%i thought of taking daily Prilosec for a month to get rid of gerd.was using tums,but I hear that can cause kidney Prilosec for a month ok or is there a better antiacid that wont effect kidneys or electrolites.i have diabetes and high blood pressure and atrial fiberation all well controlled

ANSWER: Prilosec (Omeprazole)for a month is ok and no dosage reduction is necessary in elderly or with impaired kidney function. See

QUESTION: dr salman,im 80 years old with chronic insomnia.i was taking lunesta for 3 months but I was groggy next doctor switched me to ambien.i have taken 10mg of ambien for 3 weeks and it is the best sleep I have ever feeling sleepy next day,and when I get up to  urinate around 400am no dizziness at all.i asked my psychiatrist about long term ambien and memory loss.she has mant patients taking ambien for many years no to memory loss patients in their seventys have memory loss as part of aging,but the clinical studies don't take aging as memory loss they  bblame ambien.what are your views on safety of ambien long term?my pharmitist ambien and lunesta the same.they work on same receptors and lunesta no better then ambien

ANSWER: Most studies in elderly patients show impairment of memory during night time after taking Zolpidem but no memory impairment day after taking it. So, I think you should continue with it.

QUESTION: can you take 1mg of Xanax and about a hour later take 10mg of ambien.I do this combo and have no problems with Xanax and lunesta

You can take these drugs together or after a gap in between. However, Using ALPRAZolam together with zolpidem may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you.

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman

I can answer questions related to indications (therapeutic uses), contraindications, adverse reactions and interactions of drugs. I can also give expert opinion on queries related to rational use of medicines, including cost effective medication, essential medicines and generic drugs.

Teaching and training of undergraduate medical, dental and pharmacy students, supervision of pharmacology residents and research on herbal drugs, pharmacovigilance and drug utilization studies.

Era's Lucknow Medical College, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Indian Pharmacological Society, Society of Pharmacovigilance India, Association of Medical Pharmacologists of Imdia.

British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, JK Science, Natural Product Radiance, Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine, Indian Journal fot the Practicing Doctor, Unimed Kulliyat.

MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)