Can I safely take expired metronidazole?

Hi Abe
Doctors and pharmacists will have to tell you "No", just for liability reasons. However, I have seen expired medications given to the residents of homeless shelters. It is better than no medication at all! But, to answer your question, I, as a nurse, have taken expired meds before. They almost always are effective, that is unless they are 5 years old or more. I know there are many health care professionals who will disagree with me. However, there are times when you can't get in to see a doctor, or cannot afford medications, so you make the best of it. I'm "old school" about things. IF, however, your fungal infection or whatever you are using it for does not improve within 4-5 days please see a physician. And, remember, with metronidazole you MUST avoid alcohol of any type. It will make you very ill.  

Patricia Morrow

I would like to bring a nurse's perspective to this area. If someone has a question about a medication, and feel more comfortable directing it to a nurse than a doctor or pharmacist, then I'll try my best to help. PLEASE NOTE: I DON'T USUALLY PROVIDE ANSWERS FROM FRIDAY NIGHT TIL SAT NIGHT AS THIS IS THE JEWISH SABBATH.

Graduate in 1976 from nursing school. Taken extra courses in pharmacology due to great interest in this field. Actually considered going to pharmacy school for a number of years.

Have volunteered with AllExperts in this field before, a few years ago.

Graduated nursing school, have taken extra CEU (continuing education units) in pharmacology due to interest in subject.

only from volunteering with AllExperts before.