Pharmaceuticals/Raw material

Question
If i have raw material the life time six more months.example I buy raw material the date is 3 January 2014 and expired date of the raw material 12 July 2014. Could I use for production and how many the life time of the Finished product
Thank you

Answer
Dear Tri:

Besides asking the obvious question of why you would purchase a raw material with only a six month shelf life, the answer to your question is:

Except for India (which has special GMP requirements), according to WHO GMPs, you can use the raw material up until its expiration date (I think you mean its retest date). The finished product stability is determined by your stability studies performed when you originally registered the finished product with the authorities. The finished product shelf life is not dependent on the specific batches of the raw material.

Pharmaceuticals

Michael Anisfeld