Pharmacology/norvasc

Question
im 79 with diabetes and high blood pressure.i ti take losartan potassioum 100mg and 50mg  metoprolol.with pulse of 50-60 i dont know if meoprolol is good idea.my blood pressure increased at nite to 185/80.my doctor prescribed norvasc.after 5 days of flushing and hot flashes i quit.with moderate kidney damage think a diaretic water pill added to losartan might help?what about my low pulse rate taking 50mg metoprolol with pulse rate of 50-55 dangerous,appreciate any help

Answer
Yes, metoprolol is not a good idea except if you have had a prior heart attack. Most diuretics will not work well for people with kidney damage. So you may take losartan + 'amlodipine S' 5mg (which is different from norvasc and has fewer side effects).

Pharmacology

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman