Pharmacology/gabitril

Question
I usually take lunesta for sleep,it works 80%of time.years ago I added gabitril with my sleep medicine.is gabitril low dose 8mg still safe for non-epilectics to take or does it cause seizures for non-epilectics taking it

Answer
Gabitril (Tiagabine) is approved for use only as adjunctive therapy in adults and children 12 years and older in the treatment of partial seizures.  Because Gabitril has not been systematically evaluated in adequate and well-controlled trials for any other indication, its safety and effectiveness have not been established for any other use. There is risk of seizures in patients without epilepsy being treated with this drug. There have been more than 30 postmarketing reports of new onset seizures and status epilepticus in patients without epilepsy in association with Gabitril use. Dose may be an important predisposing factor in the development of seizures, although seizures have been reported in patients taking daily doses of Gabitril as low as 4 mg/day. In most cases, patients were using concomitant medications (antidepressants, antipsychotics, stimulants, narcotics) that are thought to lower the seizure threshold. Some seizures occurred near the time of a dose increase, even after periods of prior stable dosing. So, its better to avoid it.

Pharmacology

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman