Pharmacology/amitriptyline 10mg

Hi my doctor gave me amitriptyline 10mg. I started it last night. I took it at 12:00am and could not go to sleep. I stayed up until 5:00am which I never do. Is this normal. I wanted to sleep so bad but I just could not. I can't explain why I could not either. Thanks.

Is it a common reaction? No.  However - just like people who get all speeded up by Benadryl (which normally makes people fall asleep like a tranquilizer dart) there are people who are wired backward and get speedy from Amitriptyline too.

Ask you doctor about a prescription for Trazadone to help you sleep - it works well, helps your mood during the day and is dirt cheap!

Hope that helps :)

Dr Joshua

Dr. Joshua Cappuccilli

I can answer most questions involving medication use, side effects, adverse effects, interactions and how drugs relate to specific disease states. No one can answer all questions; I will respond as such if I cannot provide an answer. I will provide resources / references for the information that I use to formulate the answer given.

I am a Doctor of Pharmacy currently practicing in Florida in a retail pharmacy.

California Phamacist Association American Pharmacy Assocaition

BA University of South Florida PharmD University of Florida APhA Medication Therapy Management certification