Pharmacology/Time to blood

I seem to be quite sensitive to most medications, most recently SSRIs. I mentioned to someone that I had undesirable effects within 20-25 minutes. I was told that was impossible because it took a minimum of 45 minutes to enter the blood. What are the facts? Thanks for your time, doctor.

Immediately after oral administration the drug starts entering the blood after being absorbed through the gastric mucosa. However, most of it will be absorbed after the drug inters the intestine after 45 mins, and peak concentrations are obtained much later (around 6-8 hrs. for fluoxetine). So, although unlikely, its not impossible to have side effects within 20-25 minutes.

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman

I can answer questions related to Adverse drug reactions, Rational use of medicines, especially antimicrobial agents, and scientific basis of the use of herbal drugs. I can also provide expert opinion on teaching and learning methods in pharmacology, pharmacology resources available on the internet and research methodology in biomedical sciences including clinical trials, biostatistics and screening of new drugs for pharmacological activity.

Teaching and training of undergraduate medical, dental and pharmacy students, supervision of Pharmacology residents and research in the fields of Herbal drugs, Pharmacovigilance and Drug Utilization studies.

JN Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh India and Era's Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow, India

British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, JK Science, Natural Product Radiance,Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine,Indian Journal for the Practicing Doctor and Unimed Kulliyat.

MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)