Pharmacology/Time to blood

Question
I seem to be quite sensitive to most medications, most recently SSRIs. I mentioned to someone that I had undesirable effects within 20-25 minutes. I was told that was impossible because it took a minimum of 45 minutes to enter the blood. What are the facts? Thanks for your time, doctor.

Answer
Immediately after oral administration the drug starts entering the blood after being absorbed through the gastric mucosa. However, most of it will be absorbed after the drug inters the intestine after 45 mins, and peak concentrations are obtained much later (around 6-8 hrs. for fluoxetine). So, although unlikely, its not impossible to have side effects within 20-25 minutes.

Pharmacology

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman