Pharmacology/lunesta

Question
QUESTION: scripps-howard did a survey that was on television about sleeping pills.they did a unscientific study on sleeping pills claiming it caused cancer and shortened life span.to my common sense it seems ridicolus.i take lunesta over 2 years any harmfull side effects I should be concerned about

ANSWER: For side effects of Lunesta see http://www.rxlist.com/lunesta-drug/side-effects-interactions.htm

QUESTION: respectfully.you did not answer my question concerning cancer and shortened life expecendy taking sleeping pills.that website only lists symptons.i would like your opion on safety of long term lunesta

Answer
1. There are animal and few human studies which conclude that Eszopiclone does have risk of causing cancer. However, these studies are not definitive to say that eszopiclone causes cancer. In my opinion its better to avoid the drug.
2. I do not believe it causes shortened life expecency.

Pharmacology

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman