QUESTION: scripps-howard did a survey that was on television about sleeping pills.they did a unscientific study on sleeping pills claiming it caused cancer and shortened life my common sense it seems ridicolus.i take lunesta over 2 years any harmfull side effects I should be concerned about

ANSWER: For side effects of Lunesta see

QUESTION: did not answer my question concerning cancer and shortened life expecendy taking sleeping pills.that website only lists symptons.i would like your opion on safety of long term lunesta

1. There are animal and few human studies which conclude that Eszopiclone does have risk of causing cancer. However, these studies are not definitive to say that eszopiclone causes cancer. In my opinion its better to avoid the drug.
2. I do not believe it causes shortened life expecency.

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman

I can answer questions related to Adverse drug reactions, Rational use of medicines, especially antimicrobial agents, and scientific basis of the use of herbal drugs. I can also provide expert opinion on teaching and learning methods in pharmacology, pharmacology resources available on the internet and research methodology in biomedical sciences including clinical trials, biostatistics and screening of new drugs for pharmacological activity.

Teaching and training of undergraduate medical, dental and pharmacy students, supervision of Pharmacology residents and research in the fields of Herbal drugs, Pharmacovigilance and Drug Utilization studies.

JN Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh India and Era's Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow, India

British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, JK Science, Natural Product Radiance,Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine,Indian Journal for the Practicing Doctor and Unimed Kulliyat.

MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)