Pharmacology/sonata

Question
dr salman I am 80 years old and take 20 mg of sonata instead of recommended 5mg.any harmfull effects its out of my system in 4 hours and I have no sleepiness nnext morning.wonder if paxil would be better to get off sleeping pills.i have hypertension,diabetes and take blood thinners foe a-fib.they say seniors should not take sonata long term.ambien and lunesta don't work/what else could I take for sleep?

Answer
Because some of the important adverse effects of Sonata appear to be dose-related, it is important to use the lowest possible effective dose, especially in the elderly. Impaired motor and/or cognitive performance after repeated exposure or unusual sensitivity to sedative/hypnotic drugs is a concern in the treatment of elderly and/or debilitated patients. A dose of 5 mg is recommended for elderly patients to decrease the possibility of side effects. Elderly and/or debilitated patients should be monitored closely.The recommended dose for these patients is therefore 5 mg. Doses over 10 mg are not recommended. I would advise you to take 10mg Zaleplon instead of 20mg, while closely monitoring if there is any adverse effect, and add another sleeping pill in lowest dose if it does not work.

Pharmacology

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman