Pharmacology/Niemann-Pick C1 protein, atorvastatin, and fenofibrate

Off the wall question here.

All the the recent news of the Ebola virus coming out of West Africa got me to reading up on it and more than one source suggests researchers strongly suspect that the NPC1 receptor site is necessary to how the virus operates in the body.  Since this protein is involved in lipid regulation and I take both atorvastatin and fenofibrate for hyperlipidemia -- both of which somehow modulate NPC1's activity at least in the intestines -- I was wondering if these drugs might accelerate the virus' reproduction should someone be infected?  I'm not looking for excuses to stop taking the meds. They're wonderful.  It was just difficult for me as a layman to determine if the drugs increase expression of the receptor or of the protein itself and if a best/wild guess would lead one to suspect they might accelerate, inhibit, or do nothing regarding the disease progression or outcome.

Here are a couple links:

Thank you so much.
Now I can get back to some household chores which I do SO love to put off with my various "research" tangents :)

Ebola Virus entry is related to Niemann-Pick C1 (NPC1) whereas statins and fibrates affect Niemann-Pick C1-like1 (NPC1L1). These two are different proteins and so, these drugs will not affect Ebola virus entry. See

Dr Mohd Tariq Salman

I can answer questions related to Adverse drug reactions, Rational use of medicines, especially antimicrobial agents, and scientific basis of the use of herbal drugs. I can also provide expert opinion on teaching and learning methods in pharmacology, pharmacology resources available on the internet and research methodology in biomedical sciences including clinical trials, biostatistics and screening of new drugs for pharmacological activity.

Teaching and training of undergraduate medical, dental and pharmacy students, supervision of Pharmacology residents and research in the fields of Herbal drugs, Pharmacovigilance and Drug Utilization studies.

JN Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh India and Era's Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow, India

British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, JK Science, Natural Product Radiance,Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine,Indian Journal for the Practicing Doctor and Unimed Kulliyat.

MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)