Pharmacy/EVION -LC

Question
sir,

for claf muscle cramps, my pcp prescribed EVION LC ( Vit E 200+Levocarnitine-150) to be taken twice daily. I want to know about the carnitine whether it is vitamin or any specific drug ? Thanks and regards

Answer
Hi Harsvadan,
Carnitine, also known as L-carnitine or levocarnitine, is a quaternary ammonium compound biosynthesized from the amino acids lysine and methionine. It helps in the consumption and disposal of fat in the body because it is responsible for the transport of fatty acids from the cytosol into the mitochondria. It is often sold as a nutritional supplement. Carnitine was originally found as a growth factor for mealworms and labeled vitamin Bt.
Many substances shown to be essential for life in small quantities were initially called vitamins, but as their numbers and variety increased the term vitamin was restricted to substances that are not synthesized in the body. Hence the term 'vitamin' is conditional. Folic acid is a vitamin for humans but not for bacteria.
Carnitine is biosynthesized in the liver and kidneys and hence it cannot be called a vitamin in humans.
However it is an important and useful constitutent.
Its role in the treatment of nocturnal cramps for which vitamin E is recommended is quite unclear.
Ravi Ghooi

Pharmacy

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi