Pharmacy/HIPPA Law: Does a pharmacist have the right to question a patient's Dr. about the medical necessity of a prescription?

Cherry wrote at 2014-08-09 11:19:50
I had the same issue with stimulant medication I take.  Definitely file a complaint with your state's board of pharmacy.  They will follow through and rectify the situation.  I agree with Barbara, speak with the manager of the pharmacy and you can also contact CVS corporate headquarters.

We shouldn't be humiliated and made to feel like criminals.  I do understand the liability concern, but to continue on after the first couple of verifications is harassment and discrimination and definitely a violation of your HIPPA rights   I am a paralegal in two states and have had the very same issue myself because I take a high dose of Adderall for special medical reasons that are not the pharmacist business or anyone else's business.  Once the prescription is verified by the pharmacist it's their job to fill it.  The Drug Enforcement Administration has the job of oversight and enforcing any law violations; not the pharmacist!

Pharmacy

Barbara Judge