hello,im a 78 year old male with kidney impairment. my serum creatine was 3.4 and gfr 52.the instructions say take 60mg  of allegra if kiddney impaired.i take daily dose of 90 for a momth now.take it daily.long term will it hurt my liver.

Fexofenadine (Allegea) is largely metabolised in the liver and excreted in the bile, with only around 10% being eliminated via the kidneys. In patients with any significant reduction in renal function, less can be eliminated via the kidneys and has to go through the liver and biliary system. Providing liver function is normal, the extra load should not be a problem, but again any reduction in liver function will mean less drug can be removed.

In addition to changes in blood tests of liver and kidney function, any accumulation of drug will show as an increase in side effects and signs of overdose which may develop for the first time, or may become more significant.

If problems develop and the drug is considered essential, then the normal practice would be to either reduce the dose and/or increase the time interval between doses.

Your doctor is the best person to advise on the risk of problems and whether the medication can either be discontinued or changed to an alternative.

I hope this helps.

Nigel Simmons

I am happy to answer general questions on medicines and hospital care. If possible, please use approved / chemical names rather than brands which are not internationally recognised. Like all health professionals I am bound by a duty of care which prevents me giving detailed information about medication or treatment of people other than the questioner. I will endeavour to help wherever possible or point towards more appropriate advice. If however your question crosses too far into patient confidentiality, I hope you will understand why I cannot answer your question. Consider.. would you want me to discuss your care with a friend or relative without your knowledge?

Previously Sysop on CompuServe UK Professionals forum.