Pharmacy/Drug interations

Question
Hello,I want to find out if taking small amounts of L-tyrosine (500mg.) can elevate blood pressure in a person that is being treated for high blood pressure. I read one site on the Internet where it said it would be ok to take this as long a person took it in small amounts. A different site said it actually lowered blood pressure in mice or rats. Lastly another site said be careful if you are taking this when you are taking high blood pressure medication. What are the facts ?
Thank You.
Doug.

Answer
Hi Doug,
L-tyrosine is metabolized to tyramine. Tyramine is a protein involved in dopamine and adrenaline production. Dopamine and adrenalin raise blood pressure. So in theory Consumption of excess l-tyrosine can lead to increased blood pressure. Small amounts may not have a significant effect. If you already have elevated blood pressure, then you need to be extra cautious.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt