Pharmacy/Drug interations

Hello,I want to find out if taking small amounts of L-tyrosine (500mg.) can elevate blood pressure in a person that is being treated for high blood pressure. I read one site on the Internet where it said it would be ok to take this as long a person took it in small amounts. A different site said it actually lowered blood pressure in mice or rats. Lastly another site said be careful if you are taking this when you are taking high blood pressure medication. What are the facts ?
Thank You.

Hi Doug,
L-tyrosine is metabolized to tyramine. Tyramine is a protein involved in dopamine and adrenaline production. Dopamine and adrenalin raise blood pressure. So in theory Consumption of excess l-tyrosine can lead to increased blood pressure. Small amounts may not have a significant effect. If you already have elevated blood pressure, then you need to be extra cautious.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to