Pharmacy/Interview questions for my college class

Question
Hello. I am currently enrolled in an early college high school program. In one of my college classes my professor gave me an assignment to interview someone who is currently working in a career I would like to pursue, and I would like to become a pharmacist. I hope you are willing to answer the following questions for me.

1) What is your typical day at work like?
2) What is your favorite part about your career?
3) What is the annual pay for your job?
4) What kind of benefits do you receive?
5) Is there opportunities for advancement within this career?
6) What do you wish you would've known before you started working in this career?
7) What advice do you have for someone who wants to become a pharmacist?

I hope this isn't too many questions for you. If you don't want to answer them, I understand. I know you're probably busy.    Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Shellie

Answer
Hi Shellie,
I work in a hospital so my typical work day is likely different from that of a pharmacist who works in a drug store.
I fill prescriptions, check the work of the technicians, consult with doctors and nurses about the best medication treatment for patients. I check for drug interactions, drug-disease interactions, and appropriateness of dosing based on renal function. I conduct regular medication reviews on patients and talk with their families about goals of treatment and best course to take. I help manage pain, infections, confusion, Parkinson's symptoms, diabetes etc.
Knowing that I am making a difference to people's well being
3) What is the annual pay for your job?
above average
I have good vacation benefits as well as medical and dental and eye care benefits.
Yes, but it is up to each individual pharmacist to excel in their field in order to advance.
I was well prepared as I had worked in a drug store before and had many conversations with the pharmacist about this career choice
Shadow a pharmacist in several practice settings to see what really is involved.

Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt