Pharmacy/Using Charitussin and Motrin

Question
My Daughter is almost 12 next month 108 lbs. How long in between giving her Cheritussin and Motrin would you suggest.

Answer
Wanda

There is no particular need to separate dosing times for Motrin and Cheratussin (either formulation), though as Cheratussin does contain a small amount of codeine, it may be better to separate the doses by an hour or so. This will help ensure the Motrin has passed out of the stomach and is not impared by the potential for codeine to slow gut motility (and cause constipation).

The more important fact is to ensure that Motrin is taken with a reasonable meal or milk drink to ensure that the tablet disperses and leaves the stomach quickly. Any delay increases the potential for causing ulceration if the use is long term.

I hope this helps.

Pharmacy

Nigel Simmons