I've been on citalopram (20mg) for around a month and a half now. My question is regarding alcohol. I don't drink that often and have no problem abstaining from alcohol if my medication requires it. But I want to know about drinking whilst on citalopram because I would like to drink a little over Christmas.

I know the information leaflet that comes with my medication states no alcohol, but I used to see a psychiatrist who prescribed me fluoxetine and told me if I wanted to drink  at all, I could skip a day and this wouldn't make a difference.

I was wondering if I could do the same with citalopram? If not, that is fine, but I would like to know.

Hi Di,
The literature on this potential interaction is inconclusive. some studies have shown the combination to cause psychomotor impairment whereas others failed to show this. The manufacturer recommends against the combination to be on the safe side.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to