Pharmacy/Drug

Question
Certain medications work by suppressing body immune system, for instance medication given to transplant patient to prevent organ rejection.
Does that mean that a person who receives these medications should not do anything that is known to boost body immune system like good diet, regular exercise and plenty of rest?

Answer
Hi Jon,
Immune system operates in a variety of ways using different mechanisms. Some of these are responsible for protecting us from infections and illnesses, others are responsible for rejection of organ grafts.
Initially we had a single group of drugs which used to suppress the immune system (steroids), these were used for transplant patients, but they made the patient more susceptible to infections. The newer generation drug used for transplant suppress organ rejection without suppressing infection related immunity. This group of drugs includes cyclosporin A, tacrolimus, serolimus and biolimus.
Good diet, healthy life and exercise improve your immunity against infections and is recommended for everybody including transplant patients.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

Pharmacy

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi