Pharmacy/eye drop for Glaucona kidney disease

Question
Hello Mary, wanted your take on this, my mother has stage 4 chronic kidney disease and earlier this year she was switched from Timolol drops to COSOPT drops for her glaucoma, The COSOPT is working very well for her glaucoma, however i was reading that it may not be the best drug for her kidney disease i ran it past her kidney doctor and a hospitalist and they both rather downplayed any real negative impact on moms kidneys from the cosopt, we are kind of running out of drop options as cosopt seems to be contolling her pressure the best.  what are your thoughts?  they led me to believe that not enough of the drop material would go through the eyes into the bloodstream to affect the kidney function

Answer
Hi,Marc,
While it is true that Cosopt is "not recommended" in patients with severe kidney disease because it can be absorbed minimally systemically, I would agree with them that not enough would be absorbed to really make a difference. To minimize the absorption, good eye drop technique can make a difference. When she puts (or has someone else administer) the drops in her eye (s), make sure she doesn't blink for a few minutes,and press a finger on the inside corner of the eye. This helps keep the drop on the eye surface and not run down the back of her throat. Hope this helps, Mary

Pharmacy

Mary E Scott, RPh, CGP