I have a bottle of Lovaza with an expiration date of 12/30/12 have stored in the fridge is it safe to take it after the expiration date or should I discarded after 12/31/12

Lovaza should be stored at room temperature away from heat and moisture. The refrigerator is not a good place to store Lovaza since it is a moist environment and can affect the expiration date.If the capsules look and smell alright and are not stuck together, you could probably use them for a few months past expiration date but I wouldn't use them much past that. Hope this helps, Mary

Mary E Scott, RPh, CGP

I am a certified geriatric pharmacist with over 23 years experience as a long-term care consultant to nursing homes. I also do community-based consulting on an individual basis. My facility-based monthly newsletter on pharmacy topics is read by nurses in over 200 long-term care facilities in 5 states.

I received a BS in Pharmacy in 1980 with post-graduate work in public health. I have had a Consultant Pharmacist license since 1984.

American Society of Consultant Pharmacists
.I received certification in geriatric pharmacy in 1998.