Pharmacy/Pharmacist interview

Question
QUESTION: 1: Why did you become a hospital pharmacist?
2: What are the pros/cons of being a hospital pharmacist?
3: What is your average daily workload?
4: Do you have a pharmacy in multiple areas/floors within the hospital? If so what types of pharmacies are there?
5: How are medications transported to the floors? (hand carried,pneumatic tube)
6: What do you like most about your job?
7: What are the primary tasks for a technician at your pharmacy?
8: What are the opportunities for advancement with this hospital?

ANSWER: Hi Ann,
1: Why did you become a hospital pharmacist?
I became a pharmacist because I care about people's health and it was a career advancement from my previous job as a drug store mercahndizer.
The pros are a great deal of satisfaction knowing you are making a difference to people's well being. The cons are heavy workload, not enough help sometimes, despite all efforts people's health does not improve, people do not always follow my advice and that is disappointing.
3: What is your average daily workload?
The workload varies depending on tasks. Prescription volume varies from 100 to over 200 per day. There are other responsibilities such as medication reviews, checking the work of the technicians, telephone consults etc.
No. this is a centralized pharmcy in a small rural hospital
They are delivered by a technician.
I like interacting with patients and other health care providers and knowing a play a role in improving health outcomes.
Filling prescriptions, checking on other techs, taking care on inventory, prepacking, maintaining ward stock.
There is always a possibility of advancing to management level which I am not interested in as I prefer to do hands on work with patients.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. pharm

QUESTION: 1: Why do emulsions require an emulsifying agent? What is this ingredient's purpose?
2: Is it possible to make an emulsion with water,ethanol, and an emulsifier? Why or why not?
3: In addition to oil-in water and water-in-oil emulsions.there are also double emulsions called water-in-oil-in-water (w/o/w or WOW) and oil-in water-in-oil(o/w/o or OWO). WOW are more commonly used because food and supplements are usually composed of a continuous aqueous phase. WOW's have been receiving enhanced news coverage due to thier ability to potentially reduce the amount of fat in common foods. Hypothesize how you think WOW emulsion is made.

4: Long term care pharmacies deliver to the nursing facilities daily but there are in some facilities what is known as "cart fills". Pharmacy technicians are usually assigned this task and it requires different traits. What are some of the traits,do you think,that a technician should have to be allowed to perform this important and demanding task?

Answer
Hi Ann,
1: Why do emulsions require an emulsifying agent? What is this ingredient's purpose?
An emulsion is a mixture of two substances that do not normally mix. An emulsifying agent is a substance that stabilizes this type of mixture preventing the two substances from separating
Water and alcohol mix well together. They will not form an emulsion.
I do not know the answer to this question
Attention to accuracy is an important trait to complete this task
Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt