Pharmacy/Pharmacist interview

1: Cefazolin is supplied in 1 gram vials of powder which is reconstituted with 2.5 ml of NaCI for injection for a final volume of 3ml.What is the approximate concentration of Cefazolin in each milliliter? I don't understand on how to do the math.
2:You have received an order for 3L of 0.9% NaCI to be infused by an infusion set rate gtt/ml set at 60gtt/min.How long will it take to infuse the 3L of fluid? My answer is 3000 * 60/1440=125gtt/min.
3:RX: Lamisil 200mg tablets,take 1/2 tab QD for 42 days How many do you need to fill this prescription? 21
What is to total mg dose dispensed?200mg

Hi Ann,
1. There is 1 g = 1000 mg of cefazolin in a total of 3 mL. 1000mg divided by 3 mL equals 333mg/mL or 0.333g/mL
2. for starters you need to know how many drops in a mL. From this you deduce the number of ml/min you are infusing, Then you can calculate how long the infusion would take.
3.your answer is correct.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to