Pharmacy/Pharmacist Ouestions

Question
1: What are the pros/Cons of being an independent pharmacist?
2: Why did you become an independent pharmacist?
3: Why did you pick your pharmacy's location?
4: What is your average daily workload?
5: What do you like the most about your job?
6: What are the primary tasks for a technician at your pharmacy?

Answer
Hi Irene,
The advantages of being an independent business person are numerous. You make you own decisions regarding store layout, sales, pricing staffing and merchandising.
A major disadvantage is compared to chain stores is you have less buying power as you are buying in smaller quantities so it is difficult to be price competitive. You compete on service alone.
I am not an independent pharmacist. I am a hospital pharmacist who also works part time for an independent pharmacy which belongs to a buying group.
Not applicable
4: What is your average daily workload?
I work weekends only at that store and I am responsible for about 80 prescriptions.
The store is located in a residential neighborhood and is supported by nearby residents. Everyone is friendly as is the support staff.
The technicians receive written prescriptions from customers and answer telephone requests for
prescription refills. They fill the prescription and hand it to the pharmacist for checking and then the pharmacist hands it to the patient and instructs on proper use etc. The technicians also prepare blister packs and operate the cash register. They check for outdates and monitor inventory and order as needed.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt