Pharmacy/acamprosate calcium- campral

Dr. G.
My wife Linda was just released from hospital. Doctor prescribed many medications for her. He wrote a script for Campral or Calcium Acamprosate, which my pharmacy says is no longer available. I'd like to know if there is a substitute for this product.

I can't get in touch with the attending Doctor. That's why I'm asking you.

Thank you
Mel Gottlieb

Dear Mel

Being in Australia it is difficult for me to know exactly the situation with drugs in the US. The only alternatives that I know of are naltrexone or disulfiram.

Strangely the US sites that I use eg NIH do not record cessation of this drugs use in the US so you may find someone who stocks ot or try to get it from Canada.

Alan Galbraith

Dr Alan Galbraith

I can answer most questions on most drugs. Answers can be given in either technical or layperson terminology. My main areas of interest are psychiatric, gastrointestinal and cardiovascular drugs.

I have been a university lecturer/head of department for almost thirty years, but am now retired. My research interests were alcohol, smoking and cardiovascular disease.

Institute of Biology, London.

Author of "Fundamentals of Pharmacology" 5th Edition published in November 2007 by Pearson Education, Australia.

BSc(Hons);MSc;PhD;MIBiol; Cert Biol; HECert