Pharmacy/acamprosate calcium- campral

Question
Dr. G.
My wife Linda was just released from hospital. Doctor prescribed many medications for her. He wrote a script for Campral or Calcium Acamprosate, which my pharmacy says is no longer available. I'd like to know if there is a substitute for this product.

I can't get in touch with the attending Doctor. That's why I'm asking you.

Thank you
Mel Gottlieb

Answer
Dear Mel

Being in Australia it is difficult for me to know exactly the situation with drugs in the US. The only alternatives that I know of are naltrexone or disulfiram.

Strangely the US sites that I use eg NIH do not record cessation of this drugs use in the US so you may find someone who stocks ot or try to get it from Canada.

Regards

Alan Galbraith

Pharmacy

Dr Alan Galbraith