Pharmacy/cholestyramine

Question
QUESTION: Would you know if cholestyramine  is available in India? My mother suffers from IBS after gall bladder removal and I was reading this drug is smaller does works for a lot of people. Can you help?

ANSWER: Hello Rashmi,
This was available in India under the brand name of Questran. I find it no longer listed. But you can get it from reputed chemists who stock imported products.
The Medical Advisor of Cipla informs me that they have discontinued the drug. It is no longer available as a locally manufactured drugs but imported formulations are available. It would be best if you check up with a local chemist who stocks imported drugs. I am also not sure about the activity of this product in liver diseases, this drug has been most commonly used for infant diarrhoea and hyperlipoprotinemia.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

QUESTION: Thank you Mr Ghooi. My mother suffers from Diarrhea after gallbladder removal. It has been 4 years and the problem has not subsided. While looking for the medication I came across cholestyramine. Do you know of any other medication which can help get over this problem. It is impact her lifestyle and also her morale.

Answer
Hi Rashmi,
By and large diarrhoea persisting for long is considered to be either psychogenic or malabsorptive. This means that there is some part of her diet that she is unable to absorb. If it was fat, she would rapidly lose weight.
Frankly Rashmi, there are many possibilities, which I can hardly go into. Could you send me an e mail on my address, so that I could either forward it to friends or discuss the case in depths. My email is ravindra.ghooi@gmail.com. I work and live in Pune and my number is 09922918967. Please feel free to call me if you feel like. We can discuss the case at a go rather than handling bits and pieces of information.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

Pharmacy

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi