Pharmacy/further to glucosamine

I want to know that I purchased LUBRIJOINT PLUS containing MSM, Boron, zinc manganese whereas on the bottle there is a red dot which suggests nonvegetarian. Can U guide me whether glucosamine is vegetarian

What is the recoomeded dose of glucosamine tablet and whether to take after/before food.

Does calcium supplemetnt help in OA osteoarthritis

Hello Harsvadan,
Glucosamine is made from chitin, which comes from insects. Thus glucosamine is a non veg product.The recognised dosage for Glucosamine is 1,500mg per day. This can be taken either in one dose ie 1,500mg, or split in to three equal doses ie 500mg three times a day. Glucosamine is generally taken with food ie at meal times. Cal;cium supplementation prevents osteoarthirits and retards the worsening of the disorder. I am not aware of any drugs that treat osteoarthritis.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.