Pharmacy/Managing Side Effects of Topamax

Question
I have been taking 50mg of Topamax BID for about 18 months for migraines. I have found it very effective. However, the migraines I still get are not responding to the rescue meds as well. Three weeks ago my MD increased my PM dose to 100mg (and changed the rescue meds-I haven't used yet). Since then the numbness/tingling in my hands is increased significantly. I've had it off and on for the last 18 months, but now it has become a much more consistent thing, and I am concerned about it continuing as I am only 3 weeks into an increased dose. My question is this: now that the tingling is more consistent is there anything I can do to counteract that without reducing the Topamax dose? Is potassium helpful and at what dose?

Answer
Hi Becky,
There is no information regarding linking what you are experiencing to changes in potassium levels. It is a known side effect. The manufacturer does not offer a potential antidote. Decreasing the dose or changing the medication may be the only way to solve it.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt