Pharmacy/Mixing medications

I just recently had back surgery and am still having slight leg pain. I am currently taking gabapentin and hydrocon    I would love to stop taking the hydrocon and replace it with voltarin    Would that be ok?

Hi Laurie,
Yes it would be ok to stop hydrocodon and take another analgesic in its place, I recommend ibuprofen. However do not stop at one, since hydrocodone could produce a withdrawal effect. I suggest you step down the dose over two to three weeks before quitting and then you will be fine.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.