Pharmacy/Mixing meds. (Lansoprazole and Movicol)

Firstly, thank you for your time, it's a great thing that the volunteers here are doing!

My question is a pretty simple one. Due to time constraints and lifestyle I'd like to take my Lansoprazole within an hour of taking my Movicol. I don't use any more than 1 sachet of Movicol per day and often not every day. I have 15mg Lansoprazole.

To be honest, I don't really think it is critical which order you take the two products. If you find you get adequate benefit from the Lansoprazole by taking it as you do, then I'm sure it is OK to continue.

As Lansoprazole is only released from the pellets until they have passed out of your stomach, the Movicol may actually mean that the Lansoprazole becomes effective faster. If you delay taking the Lansoprazole until sometime after the Movicol, you may find the onset is slower and heartburn symptoms may return.

I hope this helps.  

Nigel Simmons

I am happy to answer general questions on medicines and hospital care. If possible, please use approved / chemical names rather than brands which are not internationally recognised. Like all health professionals I am bound by a duty of care which prevents me giving detailed information about medication or treatment of people other than the questioner. I will endeavour to help wherever possible or point towards more appropriate advice. If however your question crosses too far into patient confidentiality, I hope you will understand why I cannot answer your question. Consider.. would you want me to discuss your care with a friend or relative without your knowledge?

Previously Sysop on CompuServe UK Professionals forum.