QUESTION: does long term ambien cause permanent memory loss or effect central nervous in harmful way

ANSWER: Hi Earl,
Ambien can cause you to forget behavior that followed taking a dose. As far as I undesratnd otherwise it dows not cause permanent memory loss as seen in Alzheimer's for example.
Thank you for using Allexprts.
Eric Brandt, .B.Sc. Pharm

QUESTION: eric,thanks for the our previous correspondence you stated ambien and lunesta are ome better then other.lunesta leaves me hung over next day.does long term ambien cause any damage to central nervous system.proven facts by medical journal.thanks howard

Hi Earl/Howard,
I have not come across anyone who has taken these medications and suffered permanent brain damage.
If look long enough in the literature you will find the study that will support your opinion, whatever it is, as there is nothing conclusive. If it was conclusive you would read about law suits in the media and the drugs would be withdrawn  from the market. The manufacturers will not risk losing their shareholders.
Thank you for using Allexperts,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Eric Brandt

I am a practicing pharmacist.On my drug information website, I have answered hundreds of questions to date. The articles posted on my site include Parkinson`s disease. depression, menopause, diabetes, sleep and aging, congestive heart failure, calcium channel blockers, thyroid hormone replacement therapy, ADHD, multiple sclerosis an more.

I have experience in retail as well as hospital pharmacy pracice. Currently working in a hospital pharmacy. I am experienced in drug information. Over the last 6 years I have developed a successful web site for drug information.

The addressfor my drug information website is http://www.druginformation.bc.caThere you can read articles on varios areas of health interest. You can also leave me questions which I will personally answer. I also have a free health information newsletter called The Caplet. To subscribe send e-mail to