Pharmacy/slow vs fast release tablets

Hello, what are the chemical properties in slow and fast release tablets? How are they different from one another? Thanks.

Hi Jessica,
Let us take the example of drug theophylline. Both slow release tablets (also known as sustained release or SR tablets) and fast release tablets contain the same drug in the same amount and chemical form. In fast release tablets no attempt ismade to modify the release, and the tablet is allowed to dissolve naturally in the media. In SR tablets the coatings are not easily water soluble hence the tablet dissolves very so\lowly and releases the drug over an extended period of time.There are many ways to achive this and I would recommend you read this article if you are technically sound:
If you are a lay person I would recommend you to read the following:
All the best
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.