Pharmacy/benadryl

Question
there is so much negative info on benadryl taking by people over 70 it is tragic.im 79 and have slightly enlarged prostate,which is normal for my age.i take flomax to give  mebetter urine stream.i have no trouble urinating,and my stream of urine is fine.i take 6 25mg of benadryl for a total of 150mg per week.one of  yourassicoates even put in her answer that elderly people taking benadryl can get cognitive problems similar to al;zeimers.how can she tell someone a crock of crap like that.she is a nurse on your staff.anyhow i figure with 6 tablets or 150 mg benadryl per week chances of me turning into a mindless idiot like mary says is small.your feedback is appreciated

Answer
Hi Howard,
Benadryl has anticholinergic side effects. In  theory it can potentially affect urine flow and mental status. These effects are dose dependent and also depend on the general health, size, and renal function of the person taking the drug. Every person is unique. If you are healthier and can tolerate what you are taking without ill effect, good on you.
Thank you for using Allexperts,
Sincerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. pharm

Pharmacy

Eric Brandt