Pharmacy/blood pressure

I am old man(63)with blood pressure (max 150/100,normal 140/90).I used till now norvasc 10 mg(one/day) and valsartan 80 mg(one /day).Today,my dr change medication in Nebilet 5 mg(one/day) and Atacand 16 mg(one /day).In your opinion: it s the same category?I can use this new medicines?tks

If your blood pressure has been 140/90, that is too high to maintain as "normal".  Your doctor is apparantly trying to lower your blood pressure to levels which are considered healthier for you long term.  In comparing you medications, Atacand and valsartan are both in the same class of high blood pressure medications so they work similarly.  Nebilet is a beta blocker which tends to lower blood pressure and slow the heart rate.  Norvasc is a calcium channel blocker.  In changing Nebilet for Norvasc your doctor is trying a new approach to get your blood pressure lower.  If possible you want your normal readings closer to 120/80.  If you have any further questions please contact your doctor.

Barb Judge  

Barbara Judge

Outpatient pharmacy and general health. I have recently completed a Pharmceutical Care Certificate Program offered by Purdue University (Spring 1999 completion). I have personal experience dealing with terminally ill persons and their needs, as well as their families` needs. I graduated in 1984 from Pharmacy School and have been a Licensed Pharmacist since then. I have 18 years retail pharmacy experience. Prior to my pharmacy training I have 3 years hospital experience as a Nurse`s Aide.