About /4 hours ago a recurring breast infection has appeared. I get it about once a year at the most. I have some flucloxicillin capsules left from 10/12. Will it do any harm if I take these. Thanks

Whilst a product that is only a few months old will not do you any harm, assuming it has been stored properly. I could not be sure it is an appropriate antibiotic for this particular infection. If you've had it before, for the same condition, then it is probably OK as there is a reasonable gap since the last course and a low chance of the infection being resistant.

However, if you did not complete the full course prescribed last time, you may not have sufficient medication for the minimum 5 days that would be recommended.

I suggest you try to contact your GP by phone (rather than block an appointment) and explain the position and how much  fluclox you still have. If s/he is happy that it is appropriate, then you can commence the treatment immediately and if necessary they can issue a prescription to complete the course. If they feel a swab is appropriate or some investigation into why the infection is recurring, then they would suggest an appointment or referral.

I hope this helps.

Nigel Simmons

I am happy to answer general questions on medicines and hospital care. If possible, please use approved / chemical names rather than brands which are not internationally recognised. Like all health professionals I am bound by a duty of care which prevents me giving detailed information about medication or treatment of people other than the questioner. I will endeavour to help wherever possible or point towards more appropriate advice. If however your question crosses too far into patient confidentiality, I hope you will understand why I cannot answer your question. Consider.. would you want me to discuss your care with a friend or relative without your knowledge?

Previously Sysop on CompuServe UK Professionals forum.