Pharmacy/Mixing Lexapro and Imipram HCL

A client of mine has Trichotillomania. She will begin medication and CBT soon. The MD was telling her he was going to start her off on 10mg Lexapro and 50 mg Imipram HCL daily to alleviate her anxiety. I have researched that Imipram HCL(TCA) has shown positive results on combatting Trichotillomania (OCD Spectrum Disorder). Does she even need the Lexapro (SSRI)? Or rather, should I ask the MD to begin her on just one medication and determine in 8 weeks if she needs to adjust her amount/add one of the others listed

Hi Robert,
Probably the MD feels that the combination will do her good. Since I do not know much about the patient, it becomes hard to comment on the therapy advised, I would suggest you have a talk with the MD and see what he/she says.
Best wishes
Ravi Ghooi

Dr. Ravindra Bhaskar Ghooi

I can provide information on drugs and medicines, their actions, uses, interactions and adverse effects. To avoid confusion, generic names of medicines may please be provided. I am a pharmacologist, having worked on animal and human pharmacology, and presently I am the Dean of Bilcare Research Academy, where we teach courses on clinical research. We dont work on saturdays and sundays, hence questions reachng me on these days will be replied on Monday, please bear with me.